Gaming has changed so much over the past few years that it kind of makes me nervous. I knew Dyl wanted an XBox but there were some aspects of gaming that I was concerned about. I only want Dyl to play age suitable games and I also want to be in control of how long he plays for and who he is in contact with if playing online.
Considering my first experience of gaming involved a spectrum with rubber keys I knew things were very different. Therefore I have been selected as a family gaming ambassador and will be blogging challenges from Ask about games who aim to teach me how to have fun gaming with the children but also to do so in a safe way.
My first challenge is too simply find out about gaming regulations and safety aspects
Let the questions begin!
1. How many PEGI age ratings are there? There are 5 PEGI age ratings. One more than I realised!
2. Which 3 PEGI age ratings are legally enforceable? Age 12, 16 and 18 are legally enforcable ratings. I knew 12 and 18 were and was interested to realise 16 was a legal one to.
3. How many PEGI Content Descriptor icons are there? 8 and these are new to me but definately worth kmowing about especially if you are buying games for children.
4. What does the Spider icon below mean? The spider represents fear and suggests that some aspects may frighten younger children.
5. What does the Fist icon below mean? This icon suggests violence is a feature.
6. Parental Control Devices are available on Smart Phones? True/False True, and oh so brilliant. This firmly puts the parents in control which is important to me. The saftey of gaming is a parents responsibility in the same way that parents are responsible for the general well being of their children.
7. Parental Control features on a video games console can be used to control the amount of time that your child plays on the device per day? True/False True – again and this feature is great. Rules can be decided on as a family during a discussion about how to use the XBox healthily. This feature then takes away the bargaining and arguing that could occur. The game simply switches off once the agreed time has elapsed.
I have used my new found knowledge to put the safety controls in place. This was a simple process.
disclosure: I have been gifted the equipment needed to be the ambassador.
Trackback from your site.