Life long learning and the pursuit of knowledge to continue to grow is really important to me. In today’s society I believe this is even more important because technology changes so fast and I am working in an industry that is developing at great speed. My children see this in me and I know it is an important lesson they are learning. Likewise I am always looking for ways to support my children’s learning. Many will know that I gave up my own teaching role partly to be at home more and to be more accessible to the children. I have seen that as my children have got older they need me more, from helping with homework to taking them to their sports and social activities. Raising three children is a full time job in itself.
I make the most of opportunities to help them all individually and for Erin that occurs on the walk to school each day, this is when we practise times tables and spellings. It is a short walk but a lovely start to the day as she holds my hand and we chat. With the older two is it often more formal and obviously with Chloe revising for her GCSE’s we are giving her lots of support both academically and ensuring she switches off and relaxes too, after all it is all about balance.
We learn best when we are being actively involved in the learning, reading books is not the best way for most people to retain information and mind maps, playing games and quizzes help the knowledge to stick and therefore we often make learning fun and creative in our spare time. Most people love a good quiz and this is where Education Quizzes is a fantastic resource. Education Quizzes have quizzes for all school aged children from KS1 to GCSE students, the quizzes support the national curriculum but allow you to explore the areas of the curriculum which is frequently rushed through, due to time constraints.
The quizzes are superior as they have all been written by teachers which makes them relevant, fun and engaging. They can be used by the whole family in ways that suit you and here are just a few, I am sure you can see how it will fit into your routines.
- Many of my friends often have family nights at the weekend, they grab a take away and play board games. These quizzes can be used to facilitate that quality family time.
- If you are a grandparent that is looking after the children or babysitting this again can give you all something to do together.
- As a teacher (I am doing some private tutoring) I will use these as a summary to a topic we have covered.
- In the classroom I would use these with my tutor groups. During tutor time teachers do much more than take the register and these quizzes can be used with either vertical or horizontal tutor groups.
- As a subject specialist they can be used as a starter or a plenary activity for the class.
To access the quizzes it is a flat fee of £7.50 per month which allows you to use the quizzes an infinite number of times and for all the age groups. We all want our children to be successful learners and as i have said before a partnership is required between the child, the school and home. This fits perfectly into that triangle and gives home the resources to be able to know how to support their young people. I know that some parents don’t know how to support the learning that occurs in the classroom despite wanting to bee more involved.
How do you support children’s learning?