A girly day at the races is my idea of fun. Most years my bestie and me head to Cheltenham races during Gold Cup we make the most of it and start with a prosecco breakfast at a nice hotel before making our way to the course. Along with The day is brilliant, we dress up, spend up and grin all day long. Cheltenham and Royal Ascot are the jewels in the racing year and I cannot imagine our tradition of attending subsiding. We really make an effort – I even get Chloe to paint my nails.
My tips for an amazing day include:
1. Place all your bets at the start, this gives time between races to get a drink go to the loo and so on!
2. Don’t wear high heels. You are on your feet all day so wear comfy shoes that you can manage walking in.
3. Get the best tickets you can. This year, for the first time we went club which meant the bars were less crowded and we could access the champagne bar which we liked!
4. The outfit, oh so important! Cheltenham is in March so I always take a coat and you need to bear that in mind with your dress but Ascot is in June therefore it (should) will be warmer and it is all about the dress! I love skater dresses. This dress only needs minimal accessories as it is gorgeous. I would go for drop earrings as no necklace is needed. The little flower is a great hair accessory as I am not really a hat person. I think hats suit those with longer hair and mine isn’t long! A clutch bag is required to hold those race tickets. The best days are those where you break even by getting a good win!
5. Decide beforehand whether you are splitting winnings. We always do as then you both end up smiling or drinking more champagne to forget! Personally I like us both coming out the gates in the same position as it just adds to the fun of the day. This year at Cheltenham we won our bets back so we counted ourselves as winners!