Have you been Hinched? Do you even know what it means? Mrs Hinch has taken Instagram by storm with her cleaning tips and hacks. She is a Zoflora addict (like many before her) but she has caught peoples imagination and encouraged many to start deep cleaning their homes. Of course, there are the haters, many saying what she is doing is nothing new or that it is quite easy to keep a home clean and tidy when you don’t have kids.
However what she has done is get people talking about cleaning. I will hold my hands up though and say that it is not my favourite way to spend time. I do like to have a lovely clean home but I am just not focussed enough! We also have so much stuff that no matter how much I declutter the spaces just fill up again. I would love to have a person come in and feng shui or do something magical to create a calm home but the only time it really looks like that is when we have guests coming to stay!
It seems that I am not alone in that either as Julian Charles have conducted some research and found that 85% of respondents agreed cleaning and tidying would be at the top of their list before guests arrived. It seems we want others to believe that our homes are usually spick and span!
The holidays are the time when we have the most guests and 65% most want their family and friends over during holidays. I thought this was great and demonstrates that we do like to entertain and spend time with those we care about. So which rooms do we focus on? It seems that the dining room was the most likely room to be decorated for Christmas. I guess this is due to having friends over for meals. The dining room is my dumping ground so certainly a room that does need attention.
Simple tips for decorating a dining room:
- New crockery, laying the table and decorating it will have instant appeal.
- Do check out Beautiful Home Ideas for fun ways to decorate with pine cones for budget and environmentally friendly ideas of jazzing up a room.
- Seasonal flowers add both colour, fragrance and demonstrate that you have made the effort.
- Declutter the room of anything else to invite a sense of calm. We have an open plan dining room and study and a good sort out defines the space between the two.
- Lighting has a huge effect on mood and ambiance so look at soft lighting and music when you have friends over for dinner
However what is most important to remember is that your visitors are coming to see and spend time with you, therefore when they arrive, sit down and enjoy your time together.