Have you started planning ahead for the summer holidays? It is wise to start making some plans and get a rough itinerary together before school finishes as I have found this manages everyone’s expectations and also allows you to make smart choices. An impromptu day out always ends up more expensive as I shared in my recent post simple ways to save money during a heat wave, but you can plan ahead and make savings.
Money doesn’t grow on trees and you may still have work commitments over the summer holidays to manage, however that doesn’t need to stop you having lots of family fun and providing the family with some treats. Therefore we are looking at how parents can make the most of their time off with their children.
- Have a family chat about what everyone would like to do this summer holiday. You may be surprised as often children want things we haven’t thought of and they may be cheap ideas. A family picnic in the park is often a popular choice as children want to spend quality fun time with their family. List the ideas and see which ones are doable. We do this before going away to as I like to make the most of every day.
- For the days out that you agree on, look for vouchers to reduce the entry cost. A great tip is that booking online is often cheaper than on the door prices so do your homework before the kids break up!
- Look for the free options. There are often local family festivals or fun days that don’t cost anything to enter. One way of finding these is through local facebook groups, make a note of them when you see them advertised so that you don’t forget and miss them.
- Don’t rely on eating out all the time as it can often be time-consuming queuing for a plate of unappetising grey food. Instead pull together a delicious healthy picnic that contains lots of family favourites. This way you know it will be eaten and you are in control of making sure that they still eat their five a day! In addition pack plenty of Capri-Sun drinks which keep themselves cool due to the pouch design. The new Capri-Sun Original range has 50% less sugar and nothing artificial, which will please mums. The range offers more choice but still has the same taste that we have all come to expect.
- For working parents, kids camps often work out really affordable. Try your local leisure centre as they often have day camps where your child can experience different sports and activities. Book on the same day as friends so that you have peace of mind that they will know people.
Whatever your plans stock up the fridge with snacks and Capri-Sun drinks which are perfect for throwing in your bag as you head out the door. I find that the minute I leave the house is the time Erin gets thirsty or hungry therefore I have got into the habit of always having drinks on me, especially in the current heatwave that we are enjoying.
Disclosure: Collaborative post with Capri-Sun