Travelling is definitely a pleasure and one I tend to embrace more. My little brother and his girlfriend are off travelling to Australia in just a few weeks. They have just completed their degrees and intend to relax with an extended holiday. Likewise I have been talking to Chloe about having a holiday with friends after A Levels. It seems very much a norm now for students to kick back and experiencing travelling after studying so hard. Here I am sharing 6 Reasons Why Travelling After University Is Brilliant For Your Career Prospects.
“The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” — Saint Augustine
There are many benefits for students to have some travelling time out before searching for that graduate job. Likewise there are disadvantages with some choosing to take a gap year at a later stage in life. The main disadvantage is often the cost of travelling however I believe the 6 Reasons Why Travelling After University Is Brilliant For Your Career Prospects will be life changing. After studying many don’t have the money to take an extended holiday however once you have settled with rent or a mortgage there might be even less disposable income.
6 Reasons Why Travelling After University Is Brilliant For Your Career Prospects
- Culture, we live in a global community and learning about how others live can only aid our humanity and understanding of others. Learning about other cultures is good for communication and for compassion. Travel gives us the opportunity to actually experience different lifestyles and not just read about them or see them on the TV.
- Personal growth, travelling gives you skills. Travelling builds confidence as you negotiate different experiences. You will step outside your comfort zone and learn to look after yourself. For many travelling turns a young person into an adult. You will come back with a new confidence and will also be better organised.
- CV, there is no doubt that travelling will look good on your CV. It will show that you are not afraid of change,
- Have a break, after years of continual education and studying it is some time out. Travelling will give you the time and space to reassess, take stock and make some plans. Our education system has continually testing and after all that it is good to unwind before starting a job.
- Gain life experiences, you will learn to budget and to network with others. Networking is crucial to success in every career and travelling will help you learn to communicate better and you never know who you will meet on your journey.
- See the world. There is so much to see whether it is mountains, seas or historical sites. Enjoy our world because it is beautiful and in order to continue to look after it you need to see its beauty.
If you are now convinced to go travelling, or to encourage your child to travel Netflight have a handy tool to help work out the cost! Netflights.com have created a helpful calculator, to show how your lifestyle habits compare to those in the most popular expat destinations around the world. If you input your expectations you will get a realistic Cost of Living for where you intend to go. You can access the cost calculator here. I would love to know in the comments where you would like to travel too.