Buying a car is a big outlay and when we bought our 17 year old a car I was a little torn on what type to get. Both my husband and I drive quite new cars, we don’t want to have the inconvenience of older cars that may need more car maintenance than a newer car. However, we also had a budget in mind for her first car. We knew we would be buying a cheaper runaround, we also had the added expense of car insurance.
We all know that car insurance is very expensive for teenagers but by having the insurance in her name and her having her own car we will start building her own insurance history and the price will come down next year. We found a great little run around car for Chloe and bought it for her. The fact that it was an older car did give me some concerns as none of us want our teens breaking down when they are driving.
When your teen is driving and has passed their test I feel it is important to teach them some basic maintenance and car safety. I remember the first time she went to the petrol station and wasn’t sure which fuel to use!
Since then we have taught Chloe these basic things should anything happen.
- She knows how to check her oil and water levels.
- Knowing how to check your tyre pressure is a basic need especially for older cars.
- Teenagers should also know what to do in the case of a Flat tyre. We have roadside cover to help in this type of situation and she knows how to contact them and stay safe in the meantime.
- Chloe did have a teething problem with her brakes sticking and she was really calm and knew to get the car off the main road and then call me. When I went to find her and her brother I was really pleased to see that they were out of the car and stood waiting for me in a safe place.
- Having basics in the car boot is always important. A warm coat and blanket is essential as you never know when it might rain and you are stuck in traffic and get cold etc. The same with having a bottle of water to drink. Plus pen and paper if ever you are in an accident and needd to take details down. You could also take photos with your smartphone as they could be useful.
- If you have a older car there maybe timess when things need replacing, keep an eye on gerneral wear and tear and you can then replace parts easily from the likes of www.SparePartstore24.Co.uk.
By knowing some basic car maintenece your teen will feel more in control and learn how to respond to different situations.