Many of us associate the summer with a time to get jobs done around the home. The light evenings, better weather and more spare time provide opportunities to complete the jobs and tasks that you have been putting off in the colder months. Here I have a put together a list of summer projects that could be carried out in your home now.
Easy Summer Projects
- Tackle the garden, now is the time to be getting in control of the garden. Dig out new borders, jet wash the patio and lay new turf. The garden comes alive in the summer and should be treated as another room in the house. Replace any fencing that has been damaged over the winter. Concrete supports are great for posts that are struggling to stand proud, get them fixed in the summer to stop them falling over in the winter. This is essential if you have a dog that you don’t want escaping! Plus summer projects that get you outdoors allows you to enjoy the sunshine too.
- We have recently had a new boiler fitted and it makes sense to do this type of home improvement in the summer months when you are not relying on central heating boilers for heat. A new boiler can be expensive but in the long term it can save you money as many are now much more economical and efficient. It is worth doing your research though as you should get a few quotes on new boiler costs. I have had a broken down boiler in the cold winter months, even on Boxing Day in the past and this is not fun, especially when you have children in the house who don’t like being cold!
- Clear out the garage, many of us use our garages as a dumping ground and the clutter soon stacks up. Spend a weekend deciding what you can sell, what can go to the charity shop and what needs to go to the tip. If you have lots a skip maybe a good motivator, hire one for a weekend and get everything sorted out. Rope the children into doing a car boot sale with you if you have lots to sell and then use the money made for a fun family day out in the school holidays.
- Clearing out gutterings and checking the roofing are summer projects to improve your home. The gutterings can be easily blocked up with fallen leaves and debris. When it rains this becomes a problem and can cause problems. Whilst clearing the guttering, do also check the roof for loose slates or broken corners. We have had squirrels get in our attic this way in the past and they make a right mess and also cause damage.
- Many of us are moving towards smart homes and therefore adding smart options is becoming ever popular. Whether it is Ring Video Doorbell or the WiFi Outdoor Camera both can offer home security.
- Look at ways to start reducing water wastage at home, we should all be doing our bit for the environment afterall.
These summer projects will have your home looking and functioning at its best.